Sunday, July 3, 2011

How Friday ended...

So, I need to figure out a schedule for my blog posts...here it is Sunday, and I haven't updated you from Fri or Saturday. So here is the breakdown....

Friday afternoon: We (Kathryn and I) helped Kaza (one of the interns) collect data for an experiment that another intern is doing (this intern is in the States right now). We went out to the beach at Punta Culebra (the tide was out) and collected data of these snails that lay their eggs in the tide pools that form. The idea is to find out why these snails choose these tide pools, and how the environment affects them. For example, when the tide is out, the temperature of the pool increases dramatically, and when the tide comes in, the temp decreases. That's just a brief description...don't want to bore you non-science geeks. It was extra hot...but beautiful! Unfortunately, I can't upload pics at the moment (I took plenty) due to a computer malfunction...mine quit working and I am using my housemate's. But I am working on the issue. So, after we came back in and cooled off, we went to lunch at one of the local restaurants. I had chuletas de cerdo con arroz blanco (grilled pork chops and white rice) and I swear I was sitting at la mesa de mi abuela (my grandmother's table) because it tasted just like something my grandma would make (she's Panamanian). Then we came back to the lab and helped with a plankton tow (basically trying to gather plankton). We had a meeting with our fearless leaders to figure out how we are going to spend our time here. We are going to be taking mini field trips and visiting many places and seeing so many different projects! Awesome!

Friday evening/night: Kathryn and I made our way to the local mall...which, by the way, puts all of our malls to shame...this place is HUGE!! We got local cell phones for $20, went grocery shopping (I have a kitchen, yesss!) and found our way back. We were pretty proud of ourselves. Home again, to shower change, and sample the local nightlife.....a bar where a live band was playing! We all know how much I love to dance, and Latin music is one of my favs....I certainly danced plenty!!

Saturday: We went to an open air fruit and vegetable market. This was very interesting. I wound up getting a pineapple, 4 mangoes, and 3 cucumbers for $2.25. Yup, you read that right.....
Zumba in the afternoon (c'mon now...you know I have to keep up with my routine) and then we tried to take a walk to the top of the hill that we live on, but we couldn't really find our way, but saw the biggest iguana ever...this thing looked like a dragon, about 6 feet long and came up to probably right under my knee. I got pictures.....coming soon. Saturday evening was a music festival in Casca Antigua, which is Old Panama. This was AMAZING!!!! Food, drinks, music, everyone dancing in the streets. We wandered all around, and each section had a different type of music with different bands, all playing at the same time. Rock, salsa, quebradita, merengue, reggaeton...everything! I had un raspado (shaved ice with sweet condensed milk, carnito y yucca (steak and a potato like thing), and the best homemade ice cream ever!! We had a great time and I really enjoyed immersing myself in the local culture.

Sunday: I've been up for a while...since about 8 am (remember, we are an hour behind all of you). Breakfast was a bagel and un cafe con leche. Now we are all just sitting around shooting the breeze....everyone is waiting for me to get off the computer so we can check the times for a movie. (there  is only one ethernet cord). So I am going to sign off now....more later...

P.S.: Wilde Lakers: I took over 20,000 steps yesterday.....who's going to create a new challenge??? :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment